Christmas came early today for Sahadat Dipu who passed his practical driving test at the Sevenoaks Test Centre today. Dipu worked very hard to attain the necessary standard to pass this test and I am extremely proud of him. This was my last visit to the Sevenoaks Test Centre this year and to finish on a high note like this was icing on the cake. Well done, Dipu.
The Highway Code applies to England, Scotland and Wales. It’s essential reading for everyone. Here’s a reminder about breakdowns.
If your vehicle breaks down, think first of all other road users and:
• get your vehicle off the road if possible
• warn other traffic by using your hazard warning lights if your vehicle is causing an obstruction.
• help other road users see you by wearing light-coloured or fluorescent clothing in daylight and reflective clothing at night or in poor visibility.
• put a warning triangle on the road at least 45 metres (147 feet) behind your broken-down vehicle on the same side of the road, or use other permitted warning devices if you have them. Always take great care when placing or retrieving them, but never use them on motorways.
• if possible, keep your sidelights on if it is dark or visibility is poor.
• do not stand (or let anybody else stand) between your vehicle and oncoming traffic.
• at night or in poor visibility do not stand where you will prevent other road users seeing your lights.
STAY SAFE. It’s a jungle out there.
All passes are exciting. Passing the theory test makes a person feel like they halfway towards their driving licence. It can be a very nerve-wracking event after hours and hours spent revising. At the end of the test, the candidate is immediately given a letter carefully folded over so that the result cannot be seen instantly. The relief when it is opened and the first word is ‘Congratulations’ is amazing.
Well, yesterday, Jacob Burgess from Weald village experienced that euphoria after taking his theory test at the Sidcup test centre. All that revision was most definitely worth while in the end. In a few weeks we shall be going for the Practical Test in Sevenoaks and I am confident that Jacob will see success again. Onwards and upwards.